[Fixed] Map is crashing consistently only after being vpked

Mapping support for the Source engine.

[Fixed] Map is crashing consistently only after being vpked

Post by insane3004 » 14 Mar 2017, 21:33

I have not had this issue before... and it is starting to drive me mad...

I have tried removing d80.vtx and sw.vtx files from the vpk... No Luck...
I have tried packing all the cotent in with VIDE... All it did was add another 200 mb to the file size, and NO Luck...
I have even tried removing all the materials and models from the vpk... Surprise surprise... NO LUCK...

I am at a complete loss... From what I have read it is related to custom models, but their solution is to use a program like VIDE to pack it into the bsp directly... Which did not help...

Does anyone know what the issue is or what it could be?... :cry:
Last edited by insane3004 on 06 May 2017, 04:48, edited 1 time in total.
"..."

The Neverglades
End of the Line
Haunting Grounds - Sawrunner

Re: Map is crashing consistently only after being vpked...

Post by greenhood » 15 Mar 2017, 04:01

At what point of loading map crashes?

This seems rather like something in the map is causing this. Try compiling the map with just brushes. Turn other stuff in Groups window.

Post by insane3004 » 15 Mar 2017, 09:40

But the problem is that when outside of the vpk... There are no issues, no crashes, and no signs of crashing after 40 minutes of still playing on it...

But I will have to see if it is a specific thing or not still... Since it was working perfectly fine at one point...
"..."

The Neverglades
End of the Line

Post by greenhood » 16 Mar 2017, 09:22

I never had problem like this, but if you use vpk.exe from bin folder to pack content, then maybe try checking files integrity.

Post by insane3004 » 16 Mar 2017, 15:50

I've already verified integrity...

The main problem is that it used to work fine... But apparently one of my lat updates broke it, and I have no idea what exactly it is I added that could have broke it so bad...

Been recompiling with various things disabled for four days now... and I am getting desperate... I don't want to go the nuclear option and just try and remake it as quickly as possible from scratch... But... So for it looks like it is quickly becoming my only option...
"..."

The Neverglades
End of the Line

Post by insane3004 » 16 Mar 2017, 17:09

I have tried all the following, and none have worked so far...
- Removing all d80.vtx and sw.vtx files from the vpk...
- Packing all content into the bsp using VIDE...
- Disabled areaportals and Occluders... (It is a wide open map, so I have alot of both)
- Removed all decals and overlays... (I had some missing decals, was worth a shot)
- Compiled with default lighting settings... (Since I use some custom ones in the expert compiler)
- Disabled all lights and turned off vrad...
- Disabling all models failed...
- Disabling all particles, sprites, and beam spotlights failed...
- Disabling all displacements failed...
- Disabled all ropes and cables failed...
- Disabled water failed...

BUT... When I ran with the director disabled... It didn't crashed... (Why I didn't do this first is beyond me... >~<)
So I finally know it is a problem related to the infected in some way... Ci limits, blood decals on something, ragdoll limits... I finally have a lead...
"..."

The Neverglades
End of the Line

Post by greenhood » 17 Mar 2017, 11:02

If its related to game director the maybe try rebuilding navigation mesh.

Post by insane3004 » 05 May 2017, 06:56

I've still yet to find anything...
And the previous lead did not lead me anywhere... Limits on everything CI related did nothing in the long run...

Scouring the net has really only showed me this...
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wik ... g_Problems
Why does the game randomly crash to desktop only when my campaign is ran as a VPK?

There are two common reasons for this. One is that you have custom content in your map that you either forgot to include with the VPK or is pathed wrong. As an example a single custom sprite missing from your VPK directory when referenced in the map, will crash L4D to desktop. The other common reason is having custom models in your map. There is a bug where sometimes custom models will crash the game to desktop with an error in shader.dll as soon as the model is within your PVS (is being drawn by the engine). Valve is working on this issue, but in the meantime the work around is to bspzip your custom models into the BSP files themself, instead of leaving them within the VPK directory struture.

And as far as topics go on any forum... This is really all I found...
viewtopic.php?f=333&t=11342

The claim that it is related to custom models makes sense... but I compiled with ALL models disabled previous, custom and not, and it still crashed...
Removing the .d80.vtx and the .sw.vtx also did nothing...

Also... I was able to acquire an older copy of the map from a playtester... Version 2 which was back when it had no problems... So I decompiled it and recompiled it changing nothing... and still... it crashes... I am starting to think maybe it is connected with my account somehow?...

I have verified both l4d2 and l4d2 beta numerous times (I test maps on the beta since that is an easy vanilla copy for me)...
So maybe it is something with my Expert compile settings?... Since I have customized them a bit...
Code: Select all
Command:
$bsp_exe
Parameters:
-game $gamedir $path\$file

Command:
$vis_exe
Parameters:
-game $gamedir $path\$file

Command:
$light_exe
Parameters:
-ldr -staticproplighting -staticproppolys -game $gamedir $path\$file

Command:
$light_exe
Parameters:
-hdr -staticproplighting -staticproppolys -game $gamedir $path\$file

Command:
Copy File
Parameters:
$path\$file.bsp $bspdir\$file.bsp

I am running out of ideas... and the fact that compiling a map that I have undeniable proof that it works yields yet another crash has me even more confused...

I even compiled it on my laptop... In a 100% vanilla hammer and on a different account... and it still crashes...
Please... For the love of everything that is holy... Does anyone have any ideas?...

... I've been slaving with this map for more than a year now... I won't let it die on me now...
"..."

The Neverglades
End of the Line

Re: [Fixed] Map is crashing consistently only after being vp

Post by insane3004 » 06 May 2017, 04:52

I finally figured it out...

So I was able to acquire an older version from a tester, that I confirmed to work... But when I compiled that and tested it still it would crash...
Well that just makes no sense!... I have it working right here!...

But then that got me thinking... It works outside the vpk but not in... And this version of the map that does work in a vpk is not working in this one... I finally had my constant, The new vpk...

So I did some testing... I put the old map in the new vpk and it worked, I put the new map in the old vpk and it worked... So it turns out my level_sounds.txt was [email protected]#$ up... The template I had used was missing some brackets from what console told me, and removing those files from the new vpk made the new maps work...

So it was something simple the entire time... Go [email protected]#$ing figure... >.<

Well atleast I can get back to work on the map... And won't have to restart and throw away more than a year worth of work...
Might have lost three month to stupid bullshit... But a victory is still a victory...
"..."

The Neverglades
End of the Line

Re: [Fixed] Map is crashing consistently only after being vp

Post by Rayman1103 » 11 May 2017, 17:45

I'm glad you were able to resolve the issue. I had no idea what could have caused that either, thanks for letting us know what caused the problem though.

Return to Source SDK