Confusing feedback: "Zombie spawn rate WAY TOO HIGH!"

Mapping support for the Source engine.

Confusing feedback: "Zombie spawn rate WAY TOO HIGH!"

Post by Whacko Blacko » 18 Oct 2017, 01:49

I released my L4D2 campaign about 2 years ago and the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. However, starting earlier this year I've had about 4 or 5 people say the zombie spawn rate is "WAY TOO HIGH," and will complain that the campaign is a constant bombardment of 3 special infected at a time and never ending hordes, making it totally unplayable.

This is really confusing feedback because I've never experienced anything other than typical L4D2 spawns during my many hours playtesting my campaign. I definitely never made any changes to the zombie spawn rates in my campaign, in fact I didn't even know that was something that could be done. And the overwhelmingly positive feedback would suggest that for almost everyone the spawn rate is totally normal.

When I receive one of these comments that the spawn rate is out of control, I usually just write it off as the person running a bunch of conflicting mods that alter the spawn rate. However, I'm not really very knowledgeable about what is possible with mods, so I would love to hear any thoughts on this matter. In particular, I'm curious about:

1.) Am I right in assuming that people might be running mods that could bump up the zombie spawn rate to insane levels?
2.) Was there a setting somewhere (maybe a script?) that I neglected to set while building my campaign that would set the "zombie spawn rate" to "normal"?
3.) Is there anything I can do to "hard lock" the spawn rate where I want it, so that even if players run mods to bump the spawn rate it will be unaffected?

Thanks for any feedback!
Cheers!

Re: Confusing feedback: "Zombie spawn rate WAY TOO HIGH!"

Post by greenhood » 19 Oct 2017, 12:52

1. Yes.
2. As far as I know zombies spawn normally unless you use vscripts to make bigger hordes.
3. Create a vscript that would limit or increase infected. You can just copy one of the original vscripts from official campaigns and make it run at the beginning of the map.

Post by daywalkerdave1963 » 20 Oct 2017, 06:05

Yes Vscripts could be an issue however, I have found that if I get the navmaps running correctly they produce more zombies than normal. Not an exceedingly lot more but more than if the nav maps aren't running correctly. 25 to life is a perfect example of this (not slamming the campaign at all) but the nav maps need to be optimized. I know I've done it. Is this a ported L4D1 campaign? I've heard there are some complaints sometimes about ports generating too many zombies also. My guess is if you haven't added a script that it is nav map related. If you can't figure it our yourself I'd be happy to look at them for you. I've actually gotten pretty good at cleaning up nav maps. Timelords. PLUR

Post by Whacko Blacko » 21 Oct 2017, 01:03

Thank you both for your feedback, I'm glad there's still people helping spread knowledge about L4D2 mapping!

@greenhood: Its good to know that this could potentially be an issue with people running too many crazy mods, that's the only reason I could come up with as to why this would be happening to only a handful of players. I'll look into the vscripts that the official campaigns use and make my own based on those.

@daywalkerdave1963: My nav meshes definitely aren't perfect, but I'm pretty happy with the optimization I've been able to achieve. I want to emphasize that when I've played my own campaign the zombies spawn at a normal rate 100% of the time. Additionally, I've received close to 100% "positive" ratings on the Steam workshop* so I'm inclined to believe they spawn normally for ALMOST everyone, so I can't imagine this being an issue with my nav. To put it another way, I guess I COULD improve the nav, but how would I know when I've "fixed" the problem when, with the exception of a handful of comments, the problem doesn't seem to exist?

Anyway, maybe this isn't a huge issue and I should just be happy with the great response I've gotten to my campaign. I just wish I could answer these (rare) complaints with a definite explanation.

Post by Trunten » 21 Oct 2017, 10:30

Whacko Blacko wrote:Am I right in assuming people might be running mods that could bump up the zombie spawn rate to insane levels?

Yes. "Rayman's Mutation Mod" alone has at least one "mutation" mode called "United We Stand Coop".
That "mutation" has all 8 survivors together (hence the "united we stand" name).
It will adjust difficulty on its own for balancing due to having all 8 survivors.
So that's at least one example... I don't know how many, if any, of your users played it on that though.
But there might be some people wanting more of a challenge the game alone could provide for them.
Also, they might be unfortunately landing on over modified dedicated servers that also do this.
Combine all of this together and some players could be in for a hot mess.

Post by Whacko Blacko » 16 Nov 2017, 23:32

greenhood wrote:3. Create a vscript that would limit or increase infected. You can just copy one of the original vscripts from official campaigns and make it run at the beginning of the map.

I'm checking out how the official campaigns use vscripts and for the most part they don't launch any scripts at the beginning of the maps, except to sometimes turn on or off tanks/witches. The only scripts that I've found that alter the spawn rate of infected and special infected are for the panic events (the Dark Carnival roller coaster panic event, the Swamp Fever boat panic event, etc). I can make a custom script that runs at the start of a map, but I need to find the default director values so I can use those as a starting point. Any idea how to find the default L4D2 director settings so I can alter them?

Post by Whacko Blacko » Yesterday, 00:29

Trunten wrote:
Whacko Blacko wrote:Am I right in assuming people might be running mods that could bump up the zombie spawn rate to insane levels?

Yes. "Rayman's Mutation Mod" alone has at least one "mutation" mode called "United We Stand Coop".
That "mutation" has all 8 survivors together (hence the "united we stand" name).
It will adjust difficulty on its own for balancing due to having all 8 survivors.
So that's at least one example... I don't know how many, if any, of your users played it on that though.
But there might be some people wanting more of a challenge the game alone could provide for them.
Also, they might be unfortunately landing on over modified dedicated servers that also do this.
Combine all of this together and some players could be in for a hot mess.

I know a guy who runs my campaign on several L4D2 servers with support for up to 12 survivors. He says that it will only increase the spawn rate if there are more than 4 survivors, but there might be people running similar modifications that aren't so considerate. I told him about my plan to put a hard limit on the spawning of infected and he said that he has encountered a few campaigns that set a hard limit on the infected spawning, and that he has been able to override those settings without too much trouble.

Post by greenhood » Yesterday, 11:54

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wik ... or_Scripts
Check the DirectorOptions section where there are tables with commands and default values, for example BoomerLimit is 1.

Return to Source SDK