Miscellaneous Map Questions

Mapping support for the Source engine.

Miscellaneous Map Questions

Post by thekiller901 » 08 May 2014, 19:41

Because my old thread somehow got eaten with this new update (at least it's new for me) I am going to re-ask my one question which didn't get answered as well as a new one.

What does it mean to “re-fire” a map?

How do you make it so that a custom campaign uses a custom model for the Infected or the Survivors in that campaign only?
Let's Build Our Hideaway

Re: Miscellaneous Map Questions

Post by BlazingOwnager » 08 May 2014, 23:45

Refire means if that command can fire again.

Fire Once Only means it won't refire; changing the refire rate makes that the maximum amount of time before an entity can perform it's outputs.

To my knowledge, you can't do that with SI, but you can with the tank; there's a line you can add to the missions file, I believe taken from The Sacrifice which uses a custom tank skin. You can even specify this on a per-map basis.

Post by thekiller901 » 09 May 2014, 02:34

BlazingOwnager wrote:Refire means if that command can fire again.

Fire Once Only means it won't refire; changing the refire rate makes that the maximum amount of time before an entity can perform it's outputs.
That's what that means? How would that have helped with all of my previously mentioned map problems?

BlazingOwnager wrote:To my knowledge, you can't do that with SI, but you can with the tank; there's a line you can add to the missions file, I believe taken from The Sacrifice which uses a custom tank skin. You can even specify this on a per-map basis.
I hate to argue with you but apparently it can be done. If I recall correctly, almost all of the Special Infected and Survivors in the Silent Hill: Otherside of Life campaign had new models.
Let's Build Our Hideaway

Post by BlazingOwnager » 10 May 2014, 14:32

To my knowledge, the Silent Hill campaign basically included the new SI in the VPK, so if you had it running, they would appear. If I'm in error, however, I would definitely love to know about it - this is something I could make a great deal of use of if it is possible.

Also not quite following on what you mean by helping with past map problems; I might have missed something in the context but if I can help I'd be happy to.

Re:

Post by thekiller901 » 10 May 2014, 19:29

BlazingOwnager wrote:To my knowledge, the Silent Hill campaign basically included the new SI in the VPK, so if you had it running, they would appear. If I'm in error, however, I would definitely love to know about it - this is something I could make a great deal of use of if it is possible.
I guess I could decompile the .VPK and see if there's anything in there that could point me in the right direction. Or maybe I could just ask Leafo about it and hope for reply.

BlazingOwnager wrote:Also not quite following on what you mean by helping with past map problems; I might have missed something in the context but if I can help I'd be happy to.
In the previous incarnation of this thread I described the problems I was having which included certain props not appearing which appeared before, the melee weapons not rendering both world and HUD models, Ghost Brushes, not being able to pass through at least one Area Portal, and a line of foliage not appearing where I placed it or anywhere else for that matter.

One remedy which was suggested was moving the entire map up away from the center point of the world. I tried that, but it did not work. The next thing which was suggested (which I didn't understand the meaning of) was to “re-fire” the map.
Let's Build Our Hideaway

Post by MaddaCheeb101 » 10 May 2014, 22:18

Ghost brushes are an absolute nightmare. I bid you good luck with those.

Post by BlazingOwnager » 11 May 2014, 07:28

Honestly in that context, I'm not sure what you mean by "re-fire" either. I wish the archives were up so I could see the original post to put this into context. The only refire I'm familiar with is the Refire options on entities.

Is it still doing all those things? I've had this trouble before with maps and moving the map has worked for me in every instance, but it's not an exact science whatsoever; I'm still unsure what causes it. It doesn't even appear to have anything to do with entity limits or anything of the sort either.

PS: For the custom tank skins it's in the mission file, so if you CAN use custom SI only for a specific campaign, I bet it'd be in the same spot. I might download Otherside of Life to look at the missions file out of curiosity.

Post by thekiller901 » 08 Jun 2014, 04:26

I think I might have this thing working now. Might being the key word.

Remember how I said that the melee weapons were appearing as brushes? In this specific case they were appearing as the breakable glass in the airplane. So I decide to take a look at it, found out that they were all grouped together, ungroup them, ran the game, and discovered that the melee weapons now looked like the pages used to mark which trees could be cut. Those were all grouped together too. So I did the exact same thing as before and then they turned into the "Take the Pipes" hint. Did the exact same thing again and now they look like the "Apply the Cement" hints.

Has anything this ridiculous ever happened to anyone else before?
Let's Build Our Hideaway

Post by thekiller901 » 18 Jun 2014, 13:09

After having selected everything and telling it to ungroup multiple times, I was still having trouble from things which were tied together as entities. I was seeing props coming up as the trigger brushes which I shouldn't be able to see in game!

So, I have decided to abandon that map and try to remake it in some other way. I have some ideas and I would like to share them but I'm afraid of giving out spoilers for the "story" that the map sort of tells and were all the secrets are.

Should I post pictures of what I have so far and my ideas of what I would like to do so I can get some idea of what should be done next or how to do it?

Also, is it a good idea to tie more than one brush together as a button or a trigger?
Let's Build Our Hideaway

Post by BlazingOwnager » 22 Jun 2014, 12:32

Hey there. Just chiming in that I recently encountered this problem again, and was able to correct it successfully with another method.

Namely, I had too many brushes on the map, resulting in melee weapons turning into computer screen textures. I took a bunch of trigger_hurts and combined them into a single entity, and the problem immediately resolved itself.

Something to consider!

Also, is it a good idea to tie more than one brush together as a button or a trigger?

Yep! A very good one in fact.

Next

Return to Source SDK