Rise of the Planet of the Plebs

Discussions for all Left 4 Dead 2 maps at GameMaps!

Rise of the Planet of the Plebs

Post by Prospect » 26 Sep 2012, 07:05

Firstly I'm posting here rather than mapping requests because i think this is a funny idea that I want to discuss with others and may end up making myself. Also if you don't know of the recent plebgate scandal you are going to be lost.

Rise of the Planet of the Plebs is an idea I came up with after talking to lordshoot2kill a man who is a bastion of madness. In RotPotP the survivors will face off against an army of plebs in the heart of the United Kingdom. Below I have written up a backstory to this campaign and a few thoughts on the setting and features, enjoy!

Backstory

On the 19th September 2012 the MP Andrew Mitchell opened Pandora’s box.
His actions have brought about an end to all that is good, his fury has cast the storms of hell itself onto our once beautiful lands. How could we have known? What could we have done to prevent it? These answers elude me and I am left only with a story, one that follows the final chapter of our world.

----------------

On that cold September night Mitchell unleashed the most debased of insults, a word so vile in its repugnancy that no man or beast can withhold a feeling of nausea, shame and disgust upon hearing it.

Mitchell called an officer of the law a pleb.

Bystanders described the event akin to a glass swan smashing against a cold marble floor. They knew within their hearts that something had been stolen from all of us in that instant never to return again. But Mitchell didn’t care. To him the upstanding hero standing before him, dedicated to Queen and Country, was nothing more than a land owning Roman citizen…. sorry that’s the old usage of the word now it just means an idiot or commoner... Anyway let’s get back on track.

The media firestorm that arose from this was like none before it. The cries of “Plebgate” echoed from the offices of The Sun to the newsrooms of the BBC. Officers across the United Kingdom were hurt, angry and confused. They put their lives on the line every day protecting the nation from Crack-heads and Muslims and they all asked the same question, “Why would he call us plebs?”

At first the brave members of the police force were comforted by the overwhelming support their great nation gave them. Candlelight vigils were held, police parties were hosted and wickermen burnt. Perhaps something wonderful and uplifting could come of this tragedy and as a country unite against a common enemy.

But then something happened.

After Mitchell made several half-arsed public apologies the police expected the situation to naturally come to a close. Yes a terrible blow had been dealt but to linger on the subject would be to keep the wound open, seeping blood, other precious fluids and some pus. But the capitalist media so absorbed in sales, and recognising the profitability of such a scandal, carried on covering the story. A lot.

Days turned to weeks which in turn naturally became months and still they covered it. Every news outlet in the country churned out endless plebgate articles and when that became stale they started integrating into totally unrelated stories. Eventually even the page 3 girls were harping on about the incident, so much so that the text boxes overlapped and covered their sought after bosoms. But the citizens were hooked and in today’s vapid and petty culture a scandal this juicy could last a lifetime. But one group of people weren’t hooked.

And they were getting angry.

The constant focus on plebgate lessened the impact and offensiveness of the word pleb to the average citizen. Soon enough the word because common vernacular among the youth of Britain to describe an officer of the law. Within the year everyone called the police plebs and they became the laughing stock of the nation. Mitchell was heralded as a King and by that I mean he was actually made King of Britain, nuts right? The misery inducing rage that each and every officer felt was growing, changing them from the inside out. Their breaking point was nearing and with it the end of the world.

The straw that broke this burdened camel’s back was simultaneously insignificant and consequential. On the 19th September 2013, one year after the box had been opened the final blow was dealt to humanity. The OED (Oxford English Dictionary for all you plebs out there) was amended with the word police officer being removed and replaced with….

Pleb.

On the 20th of September 2013 Britain burned. Whether on-duty or off as soon as an officer heard the news their transformation completed. Their minds reverted into a barbaric state, the last flecks of their souls withered and their humanity died. We didn’t stand a chance as their rage washed over our towns and cities leaving them as concrete wastelands in their wake. You could argue cities like Birmingham were already concrete wastelands before the plebocalypse but that really is a subjective opinion and quite cruel.

It didn’t stop at the coasts of Britain. In the age of instant communication word of the OED amendment travelled fast causing a worldwide chain reaction of destruction. Plebs from the North America’s Europe, Greenland (and all the other shit countries I can’t be bothered listing) transformed into demonic fist punching monsters. Humanity fell within in days leaving the incensed plebs to roam the land, their bloodlust unquenched.

And so that brings us to the present day. If you are reading this then you already know the plebs outnumber us to a massive degree. You must survive, for the sake of humanity’s future you must live to see a brighter tomorrow.

And if you could lend a hand in killing all the plebs that would also be a big help, thanks.

----------------
Setting
The campaign would take place in Britain in one or more cities. An interesting idea would be each map is a different city as the survivors roam the land to cleanse it of the plebs (as you may have guessed the zombies are the plebs). In this instance a vehicle would be the saferoom at the end of each map and would transport them to the next (black taxi, red bus and other stereotypical vehicles)

Features
I like the idea of having a guide (preferably voiced by lordshoot2kill) who, via radio, will direct you through your quest as well as point out local pubs on interest.
There would be a lot of security uncommon commons to fill the role of on-duty plebs making team work essential in taking down large groups of them.
The finale could entail setting off a machine that transmits a message to all plebs telling them they are fired. This would make them not officers anymore thus un-plebing them (and killing them for some reason).
Prospect is a team of mappers and modders currently working on the L4D2 campaign "Life's a Beach"
Life's a Beach
Ryuji the Prisoner V1.0
70's Smoker (Life's a Beach)
Lifeguard Jockey (Life's a Beach)
Fisherman Charger (Life's a Beach)
Hobo Hunter (Life's a Beach)
Junkie Spitter

Post by JollyJackel » 26 Sep 2012, 14:03

Hahahahahaha!!That my friend is an awesome and hilarious story for a campaign.I love it.Has a touch of Douglas Adams to it.I would love to see this happen.:D
America's Least Wanted

Re: Rise of the Planet of the Plebs

Post by LordShoot2Kill » 26 Sep 2012, 14:46

The campaign starts with you calling the police guarding downing street plebs, telling them to know their place, you are the government. However the plebs are not best pleased by this so they destroy your bike! Without your bike you are unable to make a quick getaway, word is catching on and soon pleb helicopters and cars are also after you. Your only objective is 'Get the [email protected]#$ out of London'.

Custom playable characters so far would be
- David Cameron
- Andrew Mitchell

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/sites/def ... tchell.JPG

Post by SaveYourNeighbors » 26 Sep 2012, 15:15

...suddenly the would-be "Massacre del Pleb" (as it would have been known to dozens as) is interrupted by hordes of furious Grecians fleeing the most recent wave of austerity measures...
Weapons-Grade Awesome: www.jacobtalkington.com

Re:

Post by Prospect » 26 Sep 2012, 17:40

SaveYourNeighbors wrote:...suddenly the would-be "Massacre del Pleb" (as it would have been known to dozens as) is interrupted by hordes of furious Grecians fleeing the most recent wave of austerity measures...

You see now I just want to concept loads of campaigns based on the political climates of various countries!
Prospect is a team of mappers and modders currently working on the L4D2 campaign "Life's a Beach"
Life's a Beach
Ryuji the Prisoner V1.0
70's Smoker (Life's a Beach)
Lifeguard Jockey (Life's a Beach)
Fisherman Charger (Life's a Beach)
Hobo Hunter (Life's a Beach)
Junkie Spitter

Return to Left 4 Dead 2 Custom Maps