"no texinfo" error on some (but not all) custom maps

Run your own game server? Chat with other server admins here.

"no texinfo" error on some (but not all) custom maps

Post by akarno » 22 Sep 2010, 10:53

Helloes,

I've been working on a dedicated server which I both have the hardware and connection to pull off. People can both connect and play on my server just fine, but the trouble is i get "map with no texinfo" engine error while loading up some of these maps. Correction: it seemes now as if this is something clientside, as this only now seem to randomly when I change map with the desktop server management GUI It seems as though it doesnt happen after a client restart.. This is still annoying though... :)

server.cfg included in quote:
hostname jejeejenz //The name of your server
rcon_password "lol"
sv_password "" //If you want password on server fill it inside the ""
sv_contact "" //Email that clients can contact you

hostport 27015 //The port the server is hosted
sv_lan 0 //means server runs through internet
sv_region 3
sv_allow_lobby_connect_only 0

mp_disable_autokick 1
sv_allow_wait_command 0
sv_alltalk 1
sv_alternateticks 0
sv_clearhinthistory 0

sv_pausable 1
sv_voiceenable 1
sv_forcepreload 1
sv_pure_kick_clients 0
sv_pure 0
sv_consistency 0

sv_log_onefile 0
sv_logbans 1
sv_logecho 0
sv_logfile 1
sv_logflush 0
sv_logsdir logs

sv_minrate 30000
sv_maxrate 60000
sv_minupdaterate 66
sv_maxupdaterate 300
sv_mincmdrate 66
sv_maxcmdrate 101

Some of these cfg entries might not be needed, but I included this to play around and see as I didnt find any answers on this issue on google or using the search function of this forum.

Thanks!

Re: "no texinfo" error on some (but not all) custom maps

Post by Aro2220 » 18 Apr 2011, 21:59

I don't know the answer but I get this problem when I try to join servers hosting a map I don't have and the server has put in a download link that has its files weird.

There' some sv thing you put in the server.cfg that in other source games let you point to an external site (website or ftp) where the users will download the map from..but in l4d it doesn't seem to work properly and the files just crash the game if you try to join.

I"m doing my best to try to figure out HOW to show people where to get my map from. The VPK thing works okay but only if you are hosting the map on windows....for a lot of people who host using a linux box (rented vps) it doesn't seem to work or if it does there's some configuration involved that I don't know of.

Post by Cal627 » 18 Jun 2011, 11:58

We should work on making a list of maps that work well with map changing. That texinfo error is the same problem I am getting on my server. I wanted to have dead air modified on my server, but switching to it gives that error or kicks to main menu. To play on Dead Air, I had to use HLSW to Kick everyone on map change (this stops them from getting the error). Then everyone could rejoin if they had the map installed correctly.

Post by troop5 » 18 Jun 2011, 15:43

If you read the update notes on when they released "The Passing" you will find that they said something about making custom vpks not compatible with dedicated servers because of some security vulnerability with the way they packaged vpks. They said they would release a fix in an update; But that was a long time ago and there still isn't any word if this will ever happen. It's a shame too, as I host a couple l4d2 dedicated servers and the community would love to play custom campaigns.

As it stands now, you have to do what the previous posters mentioned. The players would have to be kicked out right before the map is changed. Then they can join the server. If not the players will load with the purple and black loading screen and error out right after. Then whats even more annoying is that you have to quit out of the game completely because if you don't and try to connect you will receive more errors.

If anyone from valve reads this, for gods sakes fix the vpks! Custom campaigns is what keeps servers alive 1-2 years after a product is released.

EDIT: I have tested many campaigns on my dedicated to see if I could get any of them to load successfully from a vanilla L4D2 campaign. I haven't found any that work. If any of you find one, post it here. I highly doubt it though. It sounds as its universal to all custom campaigns.

Post by Cal627 » 18 Jun 2011, 23:53

Thanks for the reply. Looks like we are screwed here until Valve wakes up and fixes this.

Post by Doktor Haus » 16 May 2012, 09:47

Uh... custom maps work just fine on my server. Ironically, it's the default ones that seem to be giving the ModelGuts error, and it always seems to happen to just one or two people.

Return to Left 4 Dead 2 Server Admins