Someone has stolen my campaign. I want REMOVE it...

Need help with something on GameMaps? Ask it here.

Someone has stolen my campaign. I want REMOVE it...

Post by Variedalia » 27 Sep 2017, 09:25

Hello!!
First, sorry for my english... ;-)

I'm the original author for LEFT 4 DEAD 2 custom campaing called "LEFT 4 SGC" a campaign based on Stargate stories...

On February on this year someone called "herbius" (here his profile with huge collection of stolen works: http://www.gamemaps.com/profile/533937 ) stole my campaign "LEFT 4 SGC Beta 1.0" and removed lot of stuff from it, and published here with the SUFFIX BETA 3.0:
Campaign stolen: http://www.gamemaps.com/details/17971

I wrote you using the CONTACT US form choosing claiming my ownership option and giving my own link of the original campaign here:
My Original campaign: http://www.gamemaps.com/details/5578

That day, you ANSWERED me in few minutes that the STOLEN campaign of this guy called herbious will be puted in "ABANDONED" state and if i wanna it, you will put it under my own profile to delete, update or remove it (but this campaign never appeared on my profile).
And if you make CLICK on RUSSELL P.F. name of this FAKE BETA 3.0 on (http://www.gamemaps.com/details/17971) you appear on the HERBIUS PAGE (http://www.gamemaps.com/profile/533937).

Your TERMS OF USE in site says:
"In some cases, add-ons can not be removed without written or verbal consent."

Ok. Today i've published the official BETA 2.0 of my campaign, and this try to contact you is my WRITEN CONSENT:

I want to REMOVE the STOLEN and abandoned 3.0 fake campaign of your site. REMOVE the stolen campaign on the link: http://www.gamemaps.com/details/17971

I'm the original author of LEFT 4 SGC and I don't want interfere the FAKE 3.0 BETA with the users are downloading and playing now my updated 2.0 version published today.

Please, answer me. 2 weeks and again 2 days ago i've tried to write you using "contact us", and I have not received an answer yet.

If you need more evidences that i'm the original author of LEFT 4 SGC i will show you this stuff:
TRAILER PUBLISHED WITH THE BETA 1.0 on 2012 (when Gamemaps was L4DMaps): https://youtu.be/GRniRxYQiXw
TRAILER PUBLISHED WITH THE BETA 2.0, 2 years ago on 2015: https://youtu.be/6gHAbztYzQc
Another SPECIAL vídeo showing old footage during development of ONE of the maps on the BETA 1.0 and futurible BETA 2.0 (published today): https://youtu.be/Fn1oVEbEAqo

Thank you very much!!!

Re: Someone has stolen my campaign. I want REMOVE it...

Post by greenhood » 28 Sep 2017, 05:28

I have the same problem. A while ago Herbius uploaded my campaign with v4 name in here:
https://www.gamemaps.com/details/17621
My campaign is called Stargate SG-4 v2 which v2 is the name not the version, can be found here:
http://www.gamemaps.com/details/6963
I contacted admin about this and he just made it abandoned saying it will remove itself during purge. Some time later I saw that in search bar it still can be found and people would download his v4 upload not my v2. I asked admin several times via Contact and PM, but no respond at all. Its still not removed.

Im updating my campaign and will release it this year so please remove his upload of my camaign.

Post by Variedalia » 28 Sep 2017, 06:19

I think we must wait to a manager answer this thread and help us with the problem.

Herbius duplicate LOT OF WORK of other developers. I don't know why they (gamemaps admins) don't eliminate herbius account for this reasons. But i'm sure that he promote lot of visits on the web with his robber job, and and they are not interested in deleting the profile.

I will wait a bit more for a response of ADMINS in this forum. In other posts like this one: http://forum.gamemaps.com/viewtopic.php?f=374&t=18241 one of the admins help him with the problem...

I only want to REMOVE this STOLEN VERSION OF MY OWN WORK: [url]http://www.gamemaps.com/details/17971[/url]

Post by RainingMetal » 30 Sep 2017, 08:14

Finally somebody speaks the truth. It's about damn time people took a stand.

I'm sure one reason he hasn't been banned is that "Herbius'" white knight Trunten always tries to defend him, no matter how absurd his arguments are. He's probably just as worse as him, and hypocritical too. If the admins had any competence, they would have banned the two years ago.

Post by Rayman1103 » 30 Sep 2017, 08:15

Hello,

Variedalia: I've removed the abandoned Left 4 SGC v3.0 Beta upon your request.

greenhood: I've also removed the abandoned Stargate SG-4 v4 (Fixed stringtables) upon your request.

If there's anything else you need, feel free to let us know.

Post by Trunten » 30 Sep 2017, 10:01

Rayman1103 wrote:If there's anything else you need, feel free to let us know.

How about upping your "job" here and explain to RM his own harassment won't be tolerated.

He doesn't understand Huck, never has or will, and notice he only chimes in in topics about him to attack us.

He doesn't respect or care you and iLL allow him here and have for quite some time.

He needs to either get over this or find a himself a new home.

He personally attacks me and I'm sure I can round up plenty of terms of service violations if you or iLL even care.

RainingMetal wrote:Finally somebody speaks the truth. It's about damn time people took a stand.

I'm sure one reason he hasn't been banned is that "Herbius'" white knight Trunten always tries to defend him, no matter how absurd his arguments are. He's probably just as worse as him, and hypocritical too. If the admins had any competence, they would have banned the two years ago.

I love how you never have any evidence towards me... because I never did anything wrong, including to you.
As for Huck, you still chose to ignore how the staff here allows him here, and has for quite some time.
What really should happen is you need to learn to respect this or just take a leave from this community.
Seriously, go cry a river some where else... you have the wrong idea about at least me, and Huck's not going any where.
You get so excited whenever ONE author returns... out of how many that left over the years?
That's a point as well... maybe if you authors didn't let your stuff get so old and abandoned Huck wouldn't step in.
Oh, and one more thing, I still like how you only bitch about Huck... never the others like Timelord Magnum.
By the way, they don't actually edit your maps, they just fix anything missing, and they credit... so how's it stealing again?
How about you go white knight yourself at the workshop* while you're at it, because it's a hell of a lot more worse.
Keep labeling me a defender, too, I love it, when I just explain why he does what he does, because you don't get it.
Eventually you'll be on your own way to get banned yourself, ironically, the more you continue attacking us.
Nothing you post is ever NOT about these matters which is a big enough hole yourself.
If I'm defending him, it's because he's a friend who you do not understand and wrongfully judge for one single thing.

Post by Variedalia » 30 Sep 2017, 12:47

Rayman1103 wrote:Hello,

Variedalia: I've removed the abandoned Left 4 SGC v3.0 Beta upon your request.

greenhood: I've also removed the abandoned Stargate SG-4 v4 (Fixed stringtables) upon your request.

If there's anything else you need, feel free to let us know.

Thank you very much!!! Lot of thanks!!

;) :)

Post by daywalkerdave1963 » 01 Oct 2017, 17:56

I have a policy which does seem to reduce the harsh words toward each other. I do make an effort to contact an author of a campaign 3 times over 3 weeks before I go ahead and repair/fix/convert their campaigns. Most time folks are ok with me working on their stuff because they aren't interested in maintaining it anymore or they just don't respond at all which makes me feel the work is abandoned all together. I usually can figure that out for myself from the comments it gathers over time also. However, on occasion I have someone who doesn't want their stuff fixed and I just leave it lie. This has only happened once. Not a biggie as there are over 1600 campaigns out here that need love, most of them 1 maps or 2 maps etc that aren't finished. Add a few of those together and you can have a killer campaign. :) This method gives new life to old campaigns that would otherwise fall to the wayside basically wasting all the hard work the original author out into them. Trust me, sometimes just fixing them up takes enough work in itself. One thing for certain is that I do try to make my best effort also at fixing up the campaigns. I don't know everything but I am way persnickety about my work. However, you know what they say about pleasing everyone. :) On the topic of porting L4D1 campaigns, I know there are folks out here who don't appreciate it for a myriad of reasons. Not sure why? As long as I got credit for my contribution I personally would feel flattered that someone felt my work was worth their effort to pursue. I guess this is where I interject a "to each their own" on that one. Well guys, Peace out and happy creating. Off to run my son home :) PLUR - Timelord out.;

Post by Trunten » 01 Oct 2017, 19:15

Shame it had to come to some of us being put on blast and called out to defend ourselves and explain our actions.
You make some of the best points, Dave... shame RainingMetal and Hortenc and others will still cry us a river.
Is it really over 1600 now, though? And just you and Huck keeping the game alive, including with the mix ups.
What's really tragic is nobody will understand our good intentions, and that we do indeed credit and contact.
Like questioning managers at work expecting to be informed of every disciplinary action... that sums up RainingMetal.
Also, the other thing is... quite often authors forget the simplest of things like string tables.
Not always just about missing textures, sounds, or models... but string tables, so no one can join you!
But as for this other guy, he doesn't get it... most players are ENGLISH... understanding the campaign would be nice!

Oh, Rayman the admin said this himself several months ago in March 2017:

P.S. It is perfectly fine to upload content created by others, as long as the original author(s) are properly credited. If the original author(s) wish to claim ownership of the add-ons in question, they will be transferred to their account to do with as they please

Post by greenhood » 10 Oct 2017, 12:24

Thanks Rayman for removing it.

I think that I should explain some stuff here.

The reason why anyone, not just Herbius, who upload not their content here is not banned because how crediting works and how it is maintained. Uploading someone else content with original author name of that content is impersonation of original author. Theres no reporting feature so to take down stolen content or report someone we need to contact admins. Contact with admins not always work(as Variedalia and I said) so we need to make topic with it and the only admin who seems to be somewhat active in forum is Rayman. Crediting and maintaining content like that is probably one of the reasons why people leave gamemaps.
Now main reason why Herbius gets hate is becouse he don't ask for permission to work on campaigns. He never contacted Variedalia, me or others for permission. He just take campaigns and add his "fixes". Some fixes are helpful for sure, but more often they are minor ones or add more problems. Just looking in some of the maps comments section proves that.
Another thing is that Steam workshop* is what keeps game alive and at the same time was doom for gamemaps and similar sites. Each week workshop* gets a lot of new uploads and gamemaps only few. Herbius constant uploads is keeping gamemaps alive. If admins ban Herbius and those who upload not their content then gamemaps would get like one upload a week or even none.

That being said I dont defend here anyone and don't atack anyone just explaining few things you guys said:
Trunten wrote:You get so excited whenever ONE author returns... out of how many that left over the years?
That's a point as well... maybe if you authors didn't let your stuff get so old and abandoned Huck wouldn't step in.
Its good thing that even one author returns for such old game. We abandon our stuff because it gets old as time passes and/or we move on to another things.
daywalkerdave1963 wrote:... I do make an effort to contact an author of a campaign 3 times over 3 weeks before I go ahead and repair/fix/convert their campaigns. Most time folks are ok with me working on their stuff because they aren't interested in maintaining it anymore or they just don't respond at all which makes me feel the work is abandoned all together. I usually can figure that out for myself from the comments it gathers over time also.
If you actually ask authors then props for you. Herbius never contacted Variedalia, me and others for approval if he can work on our campaigns.
Trunten wrote:Is it really over 1600 now, though? And just you and Huck keeping the game alive, including with the mix ups.
They are keeping gamemaps alive. Steam workshop* is keeping the game alive.
Trunten wrote:What's really tragic is nobody will understand our good intentions, and that we do indeed credit and contact.
The intentions are good but the way they are accomplished is bad. And like I said before not all of you contact original authors for permission.
Trunten wrote:Also, the other thing is... quite often authors forget the simplest of things like string tables.
Not always just about missing textures, sounds, or models... but string tables, so no one can join you!
We don't add stringtables because players can join together and play maps without them. AFAIK stringtables are more important to users who have custom servers. Missing models, textures and sounds is issue when porting campaign or when campaign hasn't been updated for a while and some game update broke those. Could also be that mapper forgot to add them.
Trunten wrote:But as for this other guy, he doesn't get it... most players are ENGLISH... understanding the campaign would be nice!
Not all people understand english. Nice that his recent update added english language.

Next

Return to GameMaps Help