[SOLVED] Bug Help! Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library!

Have an issue with the game? Request support here!

[SOLVED] Bug Help! Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library!

Post by K.Tastrophe » 08 Jul 2012, 07:11

As of lately I've been getting this:

It usually occurs right after the loading screen or sometime during gameplay. Since you guys are so smart and helpful, I know I can count on somebody here to bail me out.

Things I have tried:

- Just reinstalled my Windows XP Professional

- Reinstalled "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)"

- Got rid of "Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86)"

- Verified Integrity of Game Cache.

- Defragmented Game Cache.

- Updated Drivers

- Deleted the "left4dead2" folder in "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead 2"

Things I have yet to try:

- Installed "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86)" (Which I heard could work)

- Registry Cleanup (Don't know how to)

- Reinstall Steam

- Reinstall Left 4 Dead 2

Any type of help at all would be appreciated, I just need help!
Last edited by Solace786 on 09 Jul 2012, 22:03, edited 3 times in total.

"Leave luck to Heaven" ~Nintendo

Post by K.Tastrophe » 08 Jul 2012, 07:16

Ow, I BUMPED my elbow on the coffee table...

Post by crash2004 » 08 Jul 2012, 07:29

Possible fix, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884538 (It mentions it for XP on microsoft site.)

Source, https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -HMOQ-2519

Worth a try I'd say. Hope it helps.

Re:

Post by K.Tastrophe » 08 Jul 2012, 08:01

crash2004 wrote:Possible fix, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884538 (It mentions it for XP on microsoft site.)

Source, https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -HMOQ-2519

Worth a try I'd say. Hope it helps.

Thanks for the response :)

The Steam Support pages never help, but I'll see if that "Microsoft Hotfix" works.

Post by JohnDorian » 08 Jul 2012, 08:59

just some notes based on what you've outlined so far -

Be sure to install the latest (most recent dated) version of the C++ redist package last, don't give it the chance to overwrite or duplicate newer files - though in my experience it wouldn't anyway. Reverting to previous C++ redist sounds like a bad idea to me.

Deletion of game files - there is no reason for it to hang unless some other process has 'got hold' of that folder or something inside that folder. End Steam process with ctrl+alt+del and use Task Manager in case Steam is still running. If you still can't delete the folder you could try using File Unlocker - click me - to free it of any tasks that you don't want to be in the way. Instructions and guide on the site linked to.

Registry Cleanup - I use the freeware app CCleaner - click me - as it does a good basic job and it's easy to use. Why you would need to do this though is debatable, depends if you have installed/uninstalled a lot of junk before and didn't know how to clean the registry manually.

A straight game reinstall *should* fix the libs binding that has gone awry, but clearly it's not able to clean reinstall if you have files in the target folder that are not being overwritten. If the hotfix doesn't work then I would go for a registry clean, delete game files, reinstall.

Post by K.Tastrophe » 08 Jul 2012, 11:39

The deleting of the "left4dead2" folder did not work :(
I was able to delete it this time and I even verified the integrity, but the runtime error still came back.

Still haven't tried the "Microsoft Hotfix" or the Registry Cleaner yet. I hope we can get this thing fixed.

Post by K.Tastrophe » 08 Jul 2012, 11:43

About that Hotfix, I'm starting to have second thoughts...

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

For your convenience, we put the hotfix that you requested on an HTTP site. You can download the hotfix from this site without us filling up your e-mail inbox.

WARNING This hotfix has not undergone full testing. Therefore, it is intended only for systems or computers that are experiencing the exact problem that is described in the one or more Microsoft Knowledge Base articles that are listed in "KB Article Numbers" field in the table at the end of this e-mail message. If you are not sure whether any special compatibility or installation issues are associated with this hotfix, we encourage you to wait for the next service pack release. The service pack will include a fully tested version of this fix. We understand that it can be difficult to determine whether any compatibility or installation issues are associated with a hotfix. If you want confirmation that this hotfix addresses your specific problem, or if you want to confirm whether any special compatibility or installation issues are associated with this hotfix, support professionals in Customer Support Services can help you with that. For information about how to contact support, copy the following link and then paste it into your Web browser:

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/

For additional support options, please copy the following link and then paste it into your Web browser:

http://support.microsoft.com/

Before you install this hotfix
------------------------------

If you decide to install this hotfix, please note the following items:

Do not deploy a hotfix in a production environment without first testing the hotfix.

Back up the system or the computer that will receive the hotfix before you install the hotfix.

What do you guys think? Also, I could use some guidance as to what I should be looking for in the Registry Cleaner.

Post by frankwest » 08 Jul 2012, 12:12

I get this sometimes it really dosent effect anything though

Re:

Post by K.Tastrophe » 08 Jul 2012, 12:13

frankwest wrote:I get this sometimes it really dosent effect anything though

Lucky you :cry: Whenever I get it my game crashes, forcing me to kill it via Task Manager.

Post by K.Tastrophe » 08 Jul 2012, 13:05

I just did a quick scout of Google's first four pages for "l4d2 microsoft visual c++ runtime library error" and created a montage of various answers and solutions that have worked for some or have merely been suggested.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Try deleting mod files like .dlls and redownload them before trying again."

DOESN'T WORK : "set shader details to medium or low"

"...Then i redownloaded all exe and dll files from l4d2 by deleting them and checking game cache."

DOESN'T WORK :
"1. Exit any application that you can exit without
killing the process.
2. Uninstall ALL C++ redistributables.
3. Reboot.
4. Install all C++ redistributables up to date,
beginning with 2005, and to 2010."

"...delete Steam.dll instead."

"run windows update (would this apply to XP users?)"

DOESN'T WORK : "reinstall the game and re updated it"

"What is that after c:\.... at the end it show some application. If you know that application. remove that application and related applications to it. Then restart the machine and download updated version of that application and check if you are still getting that error."

----------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think of these? I'll start trying them out.
Last edited by Solace786 on 08 Jul 2012, 18:13, edited 2 times in total.

Next

Return to Left 4 Dead 2 Tech Support