L4d2 random desktop crash w/out error message

Have an issue with the game? Request support here!

L4d2 random desktop crash w/out error message

Post by Skip2malou » 19 Aug 2012, 17:02

Since 2-3 days ago my l4d2 has been crashing randomly back to desktop during gameplay without any error message most of the time. I have gotten a microsoft c++ error message once or twice but it is hard to duplicate that result. Before you ask me my system specs, if I have tried to delete the .ncf files, put -lv in launch options let me assure you that those solutions have done nothing for me and my system specs are more than adequate. I've noticed quite a few people who have been having this issue recently and was wondering if anyone has a devised a method to fix it yet. I have been playing the game for over a year with no problems at all until very recently. If anyone can shed some light on this issue it would be greatly appreciated.

Enjoy what's left of your summer folks.

Post by Professional » 19 Aug 2012, 17:07

Hi Skip2malou, welcome to the forums.

1. Do you have any mods installed?
2. Have you tried verifying your game cache?
3. Have you tried completely reinstalling L4D2?

These are just a few things that may help, but reinstalling is mainly a last resort.
"So... what do you think are our odds to getting out of here alive?"

"Oh. One million, seven hundred and thirty-two thousand, four hundred and thirteen to one."

Re:

Post by Skip2malou » 19 Aug 2012, 18:14

Professional wrote:Hi Skip2malou, welcome to the forums.

1. Do you have any mods installed?
2. Have you tried verifying your game cache?
3. Have you tried completely reinstalling L4D2?

These are just a few things that may help, but reinstalling is mainly a last resort.

Indeed I have tried the layman reinstall and verification of game cache, both did not resolve this problem. I am not running any mods whatsoever and have even emptied out my addons folder but to no avail.

I also should have mentioned that my drivers have been up to date for quite some time, no hardware or software changes whatsoever and no system changes of any sort in days prior.

Post by JohnDorian » 19 Aug 2012, 20:34

Hi Skip2malou and welcome to the forum -
Odd problem. You've covered most of the likely causes already, but it's possible that your machine is overheating (?) if you have a mobo monitor or similar maybe check that your chip and GFX card are running at normal temperatures. Could just need a good clean.

Do other, graphically demanding games all run fine still?

Re:

Post by Skip2malou » 19 Aug 2012, 20:55

johndorian wrote:Hi Skip2malou and welcome to the forum -
Odd problem. You've covered most of the likely causes already, but it's possible that your machine is overheating (?) if you have a mobo monitor or similar maybe check that your chip and GFX card are running at normal temperatures. Could just need a good clean.

Do other, graphically demanding games all run fine still?

l4D2 is the only game which gives me an issue. I can play more visually demanding games such as crysis 2 and deadspace without a hiccup. L4d2 runs at an average of 70 fps for me so I don't think performance is the problem.

Post by The Great Cornholio » 19 Aug 2012, 22:48

Try updating your windows?

Post by JohnDorian » 20 Aug 2012, 04:52

If you can run Crysis 2 you must have a decent rig, it's the machine-killer of its day, just like Crysis 1 was before it. It also strongly suggests that your hardware is up to snuff and configured correctly.

ok, some ideas that might help to narrow the problem down a bit -

1) A Passive solution.
Check the event console for errors - are you on XP or Win7, etc? it should be in Control Panel / Admin Tools / Event Viewer - and browse the entries for Apps (for the game's files) and maybe System (for Win files) and see if something like a (shared?) dll or other file is causing an issue.

2) A Brutal solution.
When you reinstall a game there's 2 basic ways to do it, a 'hot' reinstall means you leave all the files and folders in place and just reinstall over them. This is the least risky method, but can also be ineffective as some old files will be retained, such as your config / prefs and any number of game files.

A 'cold' reinstall means that you delete the game folder (and any associated directories in App Data, My Docs, etc, maybe take out registry entries, but *only* if you know what you're doing) and get all the files from scratch. This is the most effective method as it guarantees you acquire all new files, bindings and entries, that should be good and 'clean'.

If you did a hot reinstall try a cold one.
Also be sure to reinstall DirectX and C++ libs etc. again to be sure that they re-bind with the installed files.

Only go for the reinstall when you feel that all other solutions have been exhausted. It's a pain to re-download it all again.

Next

Return to Left 4 Dead 2 Tech Support