Can't play custom maps with friends?

Have an issue with the game? Request support here!

Can't play custom maps with friends?

Post by A3rox » 27 Jan 2016, 08:15

Hello everyone!

So, I'm very new to L4D2 and I can't seem to be able to play custom map with friends.
Here's what's ahppening and what I did. I found a map on the steam workshop* called Urban Flight and I wan't to play it with a friend so I subscribed and asked my friend to do so. Once the map downloaded with both started up the game and I created a coop campain lobby, then chose the "Urban flight" map and tried diff settings in the lobby as "best dedicated server" etc... But then, here's the problem, when my friend tries to join my lobby the game asks her to download the map, it says (newer version) and it always provides a link to this website (gamemaps.com). We also tried the other way around, my friend setup the lobby and I try to join but it does exactly the same thing. We both tried to download the map and install it manually as suggested by the game. Still it doesn't work. When I do researches on google, it seems like noboy talks about this problem. It might actually be pretty stupid lol. It's probably me doing something wrong, or maybe it comes from the map but I doubt. Btw do you have any suggestion about good maps I could play with a friend?

Thanks in advance, I hope you can help me. :)

Re: Can't play custom maps with friends?

Post by Roflmahwafflz » 27 Jan 2016, 19:20

future note, with most custom maps you will find you have to local host the server (its the "host local server" option) If you are getting a "different copy" error, have all parties unsub from the map on workshop* AND manually delete the vpk in the addons folder. Then have everyone download the map from the same source. it will always work if everyone has the same copy as long as the vpk itself is put together, and if it wasnt put together properly then the campaign simply wouldnt appear.

Also make sure that whoever is the local host has "sv_consistency 0" typed in console (with no quotes)
You... I know you.

Re: Can't play custom maps with friends?

Post by A3rox » 28 Jan 2016, 03:41

Alright! I'm gonna try this and I'll let you know if we managed to make it work. Thanks a lot! :)

Return to Left 4 Dead 2 Tech Support